Monday 21 November 2011

ARROW MATH

Well I have to say I feel TOTALLY awful for neglecting my blog for the last week or so. Things can get so crazy, so fast. It was my birthday last week, and I got sick (again), and reports are due in the next couple of days....Aaaggghhh! Sometimes you just have to sit back and let some things slide.

One thing I would love to share with you that we have been working on in math is something called Arrow Math. The students l-o-v-e it! It helps them with their general numeracy skills and being able to mentally visualize and navigate the 100 chart. For right now, they are using the 100 chart to help them find the solution, but I would love it even more, if they could get to the point where they could solve the tasks mentally. We can always hope, right? I introduced the students to the concept of Arrow Math on my birthday, and of course they wanted to know how old I was, so we did some Arrow Math on the SMARTboard to find out the answer (15 ↓ → ↓ ↓ ↑ → →)! As students become more comfortable with the concept, I would like them to create their own Arrow Math problems and have a friend solve it.


Here is a sample of the worksheet that the students used for Arrow Math:
Arrow Math



1 comments:

Darlene said...

I love using arrow math and patterns in the 100's chart. It is even fun for middle school kids!

Post a Comment