Saturday 18 February 2012

A CIRCLE IS NOT A VALENTINE

In addition to all the treats and fun we had celebrating Valentine's Day, one of the math related topics I introduced to my firsties last week was 2 dimensional shapes. Using the shapes related book, A Circle Is Not A Valentine, by H. Werner Zimmermann, was a great way to introduce and talk about the shapes all around us, especially around Heart Day.

 

In addition to reading the book, we also have used assorted polygon posters to help us distinguish between simple 2 dimensional shapes. The songs are short and very catchy, perfect for my little first grade cuties! While the songs themselves can be widely found on the internet, I apologize for not being able to give kudos to the generous creator of the shapes posters. Please let me know if you know the author of the posters, so I can give proper credit!
Circle Song Poster
Rectangle Song Poster
Square Song Poster
Triangle Song Poster

To accompany the book and shapes posters, I also had my students participate in a Classroom Shapes Scavenger Hunt. They loved walking around the room with their clipboards, in search of shapes! I had my firsties draw and label pictures in the spaces provided to incorporate a bit of writing into the activity.
Shapes Classroom Scavenger Hunt

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I am off to tackle some report card writing! Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment