Sunday 26 February 2012

WHERE IS MRS. MACKELSON? OH SHE IS IN THE HOT TUB!

So a few weeks ago I was out of the classroom for 2 consecutive days, and building on the idea originally presented by Cara at The First Day Parade, I asked my substitute to read my childhood favourite book, Miss Nelson Is Missing! After a short brainstorming session my students were ready to write about where they thought I could possibly be. 

 

Some thought I was at home sick in bed or shopping at the mall. Others predicted that I was at home making lunch and doing laundry, or at the park with my dog Della. After reading through the pile of possibilities, I came across one that immediately caught my attention. 


In case you need a closer look at the writing, here it is...

 Mrs. and Mr. Mackelson are in the hot tub. I think she is on vacation.

Uh, excuse me? The hot tub? 

When I first read it, my first grade cutie, R, had only written the first sentence, so there was a LOT open to interpretation. I sat down with R, and together we finished the last sentence so that the piece of writing seemed a bit more complete. He mentioned in our conversation that he thought I might be stressed and that the hot tub was to help me relax and was outside, hence the palm tree and sky background.

Whew! We all know where that could have ended up! I couldn't help but laugh and thought you all could use a laugh as well...

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend. I am trying to get some report card writing done and then off to my Godson's 15th birthday. I am going to try to sneak out a bit early...Can't miss the Oscars and all the sparkly gowns!

2 comments:

Lyndsey (A Year of Many Firsts) said...

Hahaha! Too funny. They DO say the funniest things sometimes, huh? Love this idea!:)

Thanks for sharing,

Lyndsey
A Year of Many Firsts

vicky1970 said...

Hi there, very cute blog! So glad I found you. Come on by and visit me I just posted pics from Dr. Seuss Day. :o)
Vicky
Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

Post a Comment