Wednesday 19 October 2011

BARBARA REID

So I have to say today was not the easiest of days...An exceptionally large class and lots of emotional dramatics were about all I could handle today! The only thing that was getting me through this difficult day, was how excited I was to attend a dual book reading by acclaimed Canadian authors Jo Ellen Bogart and Barbara Reid! As my teaching friend and I were there listening to the wonderful ladies read their works, I could feel the stress of the day and my headache melting away. Now if you are not familiar with the work of Barbara Reid, who is widely known for her plastercine illustrations, you need to run, not walk, to your nearest book store. It was amazing to listen as she shared how her ideas for a story turn into her beautiful creations. After listening to her read her newest story Picture a Tree, she was kind enough to personally sign the book for me! Picture a Tree is my new favourite Barbara Reid book, and I can't wait to incorporate it into my 'Seasons' science unit. The story ends with the clever statement "Picture a tree. What do you see?" that allows the students to think of the ways that trees have enriched their own lives. In the past I have done a Barbara Reid book study with my firsties, with a culminating plasticine art activity, which they have always loved. I hope this inspires some plasticine creations in your own classroom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment