Sunday 30 October 2011

HALLOWEEN PUMPKIN MATH

One more day until Halloween...I can feel the excitement and impending sugar rush of my firsties already! Halloween is always so much fun, but also so much fun! Does that make sense? Halloween is such a great time to incorporate fun activities into learning. One of the things I have done in the past is create some pumpkin activities around measurement, weight, and estimation. 

As part of fun Halloween based centers, I have the students estimate the circumference (length around the pumpkin) of the pumpkin with string. It is a great activity that they always love to do. We also do some weight estimations with items that the students believe are either heavier and lighter than the pumpkin. A final fun activity is for students to estimate the number of Halloween coloured jellybeans in a jar. While none of these activities are necessarily new, they are Halloween tasks that I use in my classroom every year to work math into fun and engaging ways.
Halloween Pumpkin Math

0 comments:

Post a Comment