Wednesday 5 October 2011

WHAT DO YOU SEE ON HALLOWEEN?

In Canada, we celebrate our Thanksgiving this weekend, so of course I am already thinking of all the wonderful things we can do for Halloween, which is only a few weeks away! I like to start off grade one with various writing activities centered around colours. It is a great review of Kindergarten, and the possibilities to incorporate various colour activities is endless. So of course, I read my firsties the infamous book Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr & Eric Carle. They almost always declare that they have already read that book, which opens up a whole discussion on why it is so wonderful to read books more than once. After reading the book, I have my firsties work on their own Halloween colour booklet, entitled 'What Do You See On Halloween?'. The Halloween colour booklet uses the same sentence frame as BBBBWDYS?, so it is something that most, if not all, students can read.The activity is a wonderful way to celebrate Halloween, but also wrap up our work with colours! I know there are so many different version of classroom books out there based on BBBBWDYS?, I hope you find this version helpful and something you would like to try in your classroom!


The 'What Do You See On Halloween?' booklet can be printed on 8 1/2" by 11" paper, but cut in the middle, so it is essentially a mini-book. I usually print it back-to-back (double sided) to conserve paper.  


Enjoy!

 

Halloween What Do You See

0 comments:

Post a Comment