Monday 24 October 2011

SHAPES JACK-O-LANTERN

With Halloween quickly creeping up on me, I tried to think of a new activity that was fun and engaging for the students, but also curriculum related, as report card writing is approaching. I knew I wanted to do something with 'shapes', and thought we could decorate pumpkins with various shapes. After the students decorate their pumpkins, they are expected to write about their pumpkins and the shapes they used to create a jack-o-lantern. I love it when I can incorporate several subject areas into a single activity, especially Math and Language Arts! Another variation of this same activity would be to complete the pumpkin as a 'jack-o-lantern glyph' with each of the colours and shapes denoting a particular student attribute. If you have some shape punches around, the prep work required for the activity is minimal, so it is something you can do the very next day. I have also included the writing sheet for you to use with the shapes jack-o-lantern!

Shapes Jack-O-Lantern
 

Shapes Jack-O-Lantern

0 comments:

Post a Comment